Preparing for a protest is what separates
who are all like “Yeah, weeeeee, no work, no school, strike! lets change the world! one love, man, one love, lets burn some sage and smoke a doobie. This is so much fun! drum circle in the streets brothas and sistas!”
from this guy
whose all like “ahhh, fuck, where am i, whats happening? bummer! my head hurts!”
SO heres a few super easy fucking tips to preparing for a protest.
Firstly, know your shit.
- Know what you are protesting.
- Have some knowledge of the planning of the action.
- Know the logistics of the location of the action.
- Know going in if you are willing to get arrested and how much danger you can or cannot put yourself into.
- Know your rights
- Have a number of a friend (or lawyer if you are lucky) written on your body in permanent marker
- Be smart, be prepared, watch out for yourself and your friends.
- Having a buddy system is great!
- Dont panic, stay calm, stand your ground.
As you may know, police use all kinds of different techniques to subdue protesters including non-lethal-but-hurt-like-hell weapons! Here’s a couple things you might want to bring to a protest.
- The right outfit. Something concealing, but also good for moving around! Good shoes or boots are gonna be needed for for all that marching, stomping and dancing! (BLACK BLOC - bring an extra outfit, like a bright pullover sweater, you can use in need of escape, to remain safe from police targeting people in black bloc uniform)
- A nice thick jacket. Wearing denim or leather (pleather for us vegans) as an layer of armor is better than nothing when you’re elbow to elbow in pig batons!
- Earplugs. In case you are up against an LRAD attack, these cheap little things could save your hearing!
- Food and water. Always have water and stay hydrated. Also, pack yourself some protein bars or candy, the little extra punch from sugar goes a long way and you dont want to be fighting for a revolution on an empty stomach. I pack cliff bars, they do the trick for me.
- Bandanna or face mask and eye goggles. To protect your identity and your face from chemicals that make you go “fuck!”
- Thick gloves. Just in case you need to return tear gas canisters to their rightful owners. Also good for security culture to keep your fingerprints off as many things as possible.
- LAW. Have a bottle of LAW in case you need to give yourself or a buddy a good rinse. Learn to make it here from an earlier blog of mine.
- An inhaler. Useful if you have asthma, or to use to on yourself or others during a tear gas fight.
- Flashlight. In case it gets dark, dummy!
- A sharpie. To write poems on things and to write your best friends or familys phone numbers on your arms and legs in case of arrest. Or if you are lucky, a lawyers number!
- Gas mask. If you are very lucky and got one of these, use it! Its better than a thin bandanna when you’re running in a cloud of chemicals.
Just keep in mind, having one on too long, especially when you are running and high on adrenaline can cause you to faint. So be smart with it! Also make sure your filter is new and in good condition. Otherwise a gas mask is nothing more than a prop.
- Minimal identification. Bring your ID or Drivers License (if you get arrested without one, you will be upset about it). But dont bring much else. Dont bring your cell phones if they are a security risk, for instance, if they have pictures and text messages you dont want the authorities seizing.
Thirdly and lastly, bring tools for revolution!
Be creative, bring art supplies, banners, signs. Anything you think you might need to create some beautiful chaos or to escape some unwanted chaos!
So go out and get ready for M1GS already! Its too soon to wait!
p.s. please dont be one of the those hippies who burns sage and smokes doobies and talks about one love. team up with yr local black bloc and make friends!
viva la revolution